Spring is finally upon us! And with spring comes everybody’s favorite annual event: spring cleaning! One area in your Shaker Run apartment that may need some attention is your closet. Have you found yourself with an overflow of clothing and shoes that you never wear, but don’t seem to know what to get rid of and what to keep? Here are some questions you can ask yourself to help decide what stays and what needs to go.
- Does it fit? If you’re harboring clothing that you never wear because they don’t fit right, just let them go.
- Has it been worn in the past year? If you have items of clothing that have not been worn in the past year, it’s time to say goodbye. A great way to see what you do wear is to turn all of your hangers backwards. Then, as you wear things, put them back on the hanger facing the right way. One year from that day, see which hangers are still backwards – you haven’t worn any of that in a year!
- Does it fit your current style? You may have bought something that was trendy a few years ago, but your style can change over time. If you couldn’t actually see yourself buying it again, you probably wouldn’t wear it again.
Sifting through your clothing and making room in your closet will help you feel refreshed, and make your closet easier to navigate. But what can you do with the clothing you don’t want?
- If it isn’t in a wearable condition (full of holes, rips, etc.), then throw it out.
- Donate them – you can find clothing drop boxes near you!
- Sell them – if some of the clothing items are in perfect condition or even still have tags on them, try selling them on a garage sale site, such as Poshmark, Vinted, or Ebay!
Cleaning out your closet is a great way to kick off your spring cleaning. By following these tips, you’re on your way to a cleaner and more organized closet!