5 Tips for Renting Your First Apartment
1. Expenses: This is particularly important to keep in mind, but many think it’s a no-brainer. Throughout your search you will hear the cost of the monthly rent, but you will need to know if anything additional such as cable or internet is included. If it isn’t, make a mental note to check your other monthly expenses such as student loans or car payments to ensure you are still within your limit.
2. Logistics: Throughout your adult life you are likely to accumulate pieces of furniture, each of which will need to be taken into consideration when you move. Not only thinking about their size and situating them in the apartment, but, can you get them into the apartment? Will your antique dining room table make it around a corner, or will it simply not fit? Take measurements of your furniture, especially if you don’t intend to part with any. Then when you visit different spaces be sure to bring your measurements and measure the entryways of the building and apartment.
3. Visit During Different Times of the Day: You may feel like this step is excessive, but the area’s sounds, traffic, and activity could change throughout the day. Taking a tour during the day while most people are at work may not give you an accurate sense of the area or the traffic noise. Shaker Run Apartments is situated on 30 majestic acres in the Village of Colonie which makes our residents close enough to places of work, schools, and daily necessities but without the noise of traffic and commuters.
4. Signing a Lease Sight Unseen: There are unique circumstances when this is ok, like moving to a new area for example. If you live relatively in the area of the apartment you are interested in, you are strongly encouraged to visit and take a tour prior to signing a lease. Pictures can speak a thousand words, but, nothing replaces the actual experience of the visit and making sure you truly love the size, layout, and amenities of the apartment.
5. Review the Lease: Some landlords will be quick to put a lease in front of you and expect a signature during that moment. Don’t feel pressured to sign it right then, the management team at Shaker Run Apartments encourages you to read through the lease thoroughly and ask any questions to ensure a complete understanding of the entire lease.
The most important tip to keep in mind; don’t feel pressured to make an immediate decision. It’s ok to take time to think things through before signing a lease, even if that means taking a night or two and sleeping on it. Our team of professionals will take the time with you that is needed to answer your questions and help you come to the decision that is best for you and your lifestyle needs.
When you’re ready to tour our apartments, let us know!