1. Set a Budget: Most apartments do not include utilities with their rent. This is very important and something to keep in mind while you look further into your finances. As you will need to pay rent and utilities monthly, but you also want to ensure you are not spending more than you can afford. To make it easier on yourself, look at your after-tax income and then subtract any reoccurring expenses you may have. This will help you to find a reasonable amount for you to spend on your rent.
2. Determine Necessities: Think about what you need versus what you want. These two may seem to be the same, but, they’re actually quite different. Amenities such as in-unit washers and dryers are a definite plus, but, having a laundry room in each building will do just as well. Create a check list and find an apartment that may fulfill your wants and needs without blowing your budget.
3. Take a Tour: Pictures speak a thousand words, but, it doesn’t compare to seeing something in person. Tours also allow for one-on-one time with someone who runs the property. Often times it’s the office manager and they have the ability to answer any question you may have about the property and what’s located in the surrounding area.
4. Understand the Lease: Once you’ve found a place you’re likely to be very excited and ready to sign the lease so you can move in. You’re urged to slow down, take a minute and really read over the lease agreement they’ve given you to sign. Prior to signing, if you have a question or are confused by any aspect you are encouraged to ask. It’s better to be clear about what you’re signing than not understand it.
5. Renters Insurance: You may think that insurance is just for homeowners, but, renters should also get an insurance policy. Even if your apartment does not require renters insurance, it is something to consider. Many times it can be combined with your car insurance payment and will protect your valuables if something were to happen to your apartment.
Contact Shaker Run Apartments
Now that you’ve read our tips, contact Shaker Run Apartments today to schedule your tour of our apartments!